Saturday, July 25, 2009

Out of the Hospital

I was discharged from St. Mary's Regional Medical Center on July 23rd. So, apparently my diagnosis was gastroenteritis and dehydration. The doctors pretty much just kept me there to monitor my kidney function. They wanted to make sure I'd be okay leaving the hospital with oral medications and still be okay without IV fluids. After the first couple of days in the hospital the main problems I was having were abdominal pain, nausea every 8 hours or so, insomnia, and getting fatigued quickly. I'm still experiencing these, but I've been feeling better since being home other than the fact that it's a million freaking degrees outside. The doctors put me back on prednisone, so I get to taper off of that again. That's probably what's bothering me the most. Prednisone is definitely taking it's toll on me. I've also got antibiotics, potassium, vitamin D, sleeping, pain and anxiety medications. There are probably more, but just can't think of them right now. I was getting IV iron also which was weird because they were pretty much injecting solid black into my IV. I got up and about to go to Wal-Mart today and did okay. I just had to take it really easy and almost felt like I was going to pass out a couple of times, but I think that was more from the weather than medical problems. My ileostomy output has been pretty liquidy today which I'm frustrated about. I've been taking the Imodium and being pretty good about my diet for the last 2 weeks or so. That is probably what I'm most concerned about right now. The output hasn't been even the slightest bit formed since I left the hospital. I ate some rice a little bit ago and it appears to be slightly helping, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a fluke or something. I've been drinking an unbelievable amount of water and I hate it, but I have to. I'm hoping to go back to work on Tuesday. My work has been so amazing and understanding of my situation, I am so appreciative of that. I'm stuck on a low residue, low fat, low lactose diet. I haven't really been following the low lactose exactly because they pretty much put me on it after they served me 2 meals of pretty much all dairy. I haven't had problems with dairy before, nor have I since the surgery. I think 2 meals they gave me were just a bad idea since I never have a lot of dairy products anyway. I'm going to cut the dairy out tomorrow and see if that helps at all. My normal GI doctor has been unavailable for the last 2 weeks or so and I have an appointment to see him on August 7th. I'm hoping nothing goes wrong before then. I'm really anxious to see him as I haven't seen him since before my surgery and this latest episode really scared the hell out of me. That, and he's pretty much in charge of my latest prednisone taper. That's pretty much all I've got to say about the hospital visit other than the fact that I would like to thank all the nurses and staff that took care of me while I was there. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

On another note.. All of these medical speedbumps are really starting to take a toll on me. I'm constantly being complimented on my positive demeanor considering what I've been through. I try so hard to stay optimistic, but it can be truly trying at times. I'm getting to the point where I ask my self, "At what point do I just say 'F$#% it!'?" I should be graduating college this year and I'm not. I'm not even close. I worked so hard in school growing up so that I would be able to have a great career and really do something with myself. The drive that I used to have is fading all the time. It's so frustrating because I see so many people that are doing absolutely nothing with their lives and are completely capable of it. Yet, here I am... wanting to do something and can't. I've been known to completely break down in front of doctors and nurses because sometimes something will just strike the wrong nerve at the wrong time. I'll probably attribute some of the to being medicated. Thanks a lot, prednisone! I'm pretty sure prednisone causes people to lose any sense of having a filter before they say/do some things. Anyway, that's all for now. I'll keep you posted on my health and sanity. :) And FYI, still no regrets as far as having the surgery done. It's still the best decision I've made I just wish I could have known this before starting the steroids.

1 comment: